Home Page: Meeting Minutes
June 13, 2007 BOARD OF SUPERVISORS MEETING
TOWN OF GRAFTON
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS MEETING
June 13, 2007
I. CALL TO ORDER
A. Chairman Bartel called the meeting to order at 7:00 P.M.
Chairman Lester A. Bartel, Jr.
Supervisor Tim Kaul
Supervisor Paul Helms
Supervisor Nancy Rogers
Administrative Assistant Lila Schwan
Town Engineer Kevin Kimmes
Town Treasurer Janice Strachota
ABSENT: Supervisor Grabow
PRESENT: Town Clerk Appointee Jessica Schmidt
II. ASSURANCE OF PROPER NOTICE
Deputy Town Clerk Lila Schwan assured the meeting that the Agenda was properly noticed.
III. PLEDGE TO FLAG
IV. ADOPTION OF AGENDA
A. ACTION: Supervisor Helms moved to adopt the agenda, seconded by Supervisor
Rogers. Motion carried unanimously.
V. REVIEW & APPROVE MINUTES
A. ACTION: Supervisor Helms moved to accept the minutes of the May 9, 2007 meeting,
seconded by Supervisor Rogers. Motion carried unanimously.
VI. SPECIAL TOWN MEETING OF THE ELECTORS OF THE TOWN OF GRAFTON
A. To approve the Town of Grafton Resolution No. 2007-05 – A resolution changing the 2007
budget of the Town of Grafton, Wisconsin – specifically transferring $3,400 for warning
sirens from the Contingency Fund Account to the Other Expense –Miscellaneous Account
1. Resident asked where the new siren is being placed. Chairman Bartel pointed out
the locations on a Town map.
2. ACTION – Mr. Bob Wolf moved to amend the budget by transferring $3,400
from the Contingency Fund to the Other Expense Account, seconded by Mr.
Scott Orten. Motion passed unanimously.
B. To approve the Town of Grafton Resolution NO. 2007-06 – A resolution changing the 2007
budget of the Town of Grafton, Wisconsin – specifically transferring $8,440.02 for increased
shared debt payment from the Contingency Fund Account to Capital Outlay Fire Station &
1. Chairman Bartel explained this was a simple error in calculations, there is no
increase in the amount we are paying.
2. ACTION – Mr. Gene Schmidt moved to amend the budget by transferring
$8,440.02 from the Contingency Fund to the Capital Outlay Fire Station
Account, seconded by Mr. Bob Wolf.
3. Supervisor Kaul asked how this occurred. The Village discovered the error and
communicated that to the Town. The equalized value is recalculated each year.
4. ACTION – Motion passed unanimously.
ACTION – Supervisor Kaul moved to adjourn back to the regular meeting of the Town of Grafton
Board of Supervisors , seconded by Supervisor Helms. Motion passed unanimously.
VII. OLD BUSINESS
Grafton Town Board Minutes _June 13, 2007 Page 2 of 6
A. Woodland Shores Development Review-review of submitted reparation plan.
1. Engineer Kimmes reported there is positive movement to correct the issue.
2. The timeline established at the April meeting is being adhered to; coring locations
have been determined, the Geo-technical report has been submitted, and a plan of
reparation has been received.
3. Engineer Kimmes reviewed the plan and discussed changes that staff is
4. Staff recommends an extension on the letter of credit draw until the next meeting
pending the appearance at the July meeting of the plan of reparations between the
Woodland Shores and the Town of Grafton.
5. Engineer Kimmes advised the applicant that his presence at this meeting was not
6. Action – Supervisor Helms moved to grant the developer an extension for the
opportunity to cure based on the contingencies recommended by staff,
seconded by Supervisor Rogers. Motion passed unanimously.
B. Resolution #2007-01 – Designation of the National Incident Management System (NIMS) as
the Basis for Incident Management in the Town of Grafton.
1. Chairman Bartel reviewed NIMS and the need for the Town to comply.
2. No Supervisor has attended the trainings yet
3. ACTION – Supervisor Kaul moved to adopt Resolution #2007-01, seconded by
Supervisor Helms. Motion passed unanimously.
C. Kenneth Emerick property, 2086 Edgewater Drive, Grafton, WI – Deterioration of buildings.
1. The registered letter that was sent to Mr. Emerick has neither been returned nor the
receipt come back. He is living and supposedly residing in Milwaukee, WI.
2. Chairman Bartel advised Attorney MacCarthy to serve Mr. Emerick in person to
determine if he is physically or mentally able to respond to the Town.
3. ACTION – Supervisor Helms moved to table Item C for 30 days, seconded by
Supervisor Rogers. Motion passed unanimously.
VIII. NEW BUSINESS
A. Liquor License Renewals
1. Richard McKee Enterprises
2. RMS Golf Ventures
3. Edgewater Golf Club
4. Ghost Town Tavern
5. Grafton Dells, Ltd
6. The Family Farm
a. Staff reported that all facilities have paid their fees and recommends approval
of all liquor and operator license
b. Action – Supervisor Helms moved to approve all listed liquor license
renewals and associated operator license renewals, seconded by
Supervisor Kaul. Motion passed unanimously.
B. Town of Grafton Ordinance #2007-101, Bed and Breakfast Establishments: An Ordinance
Amending Section 4.00, Town of Grafton Zoning Code, Conditional Uses, Specifically
Sections 4.05 Agricultural Uses, 4.06 Residential Uses, 4.07 Business Uses, 4.08 Light
Manufacturing and Warehousing Uses.
1. JETZCO met to discuss the bed and breakfast establishments. They adopted the
same code as Resolution #2007-101 which is in-line with the City of Mequon’s code.
Grafton Town Board Minutes _June 13, 2007 Page 3 of 6
2. Bed and breakfast establishments are monitored and regulated under Wisconsin
3. Supervisor Kaul asked if the Town allows B&B’s in other parts of the Town. Yes, this
ordinance is to allow them in the Port Washington Zoning District.
4. ACTION – Supervisor Rogers moved to adopt Ordinance #2007-101, seconded
by Supervisor Kaul Motion passed unanimously.
C. Minor Land Division – Tax Key #06-028-08-003.00, Drawing Dead – Tom Nitschke, owner
1. Cancelled; application was denied at the June 6, 2007 Plan Commission meeting.
D. MLG-Waterstone – Letter of Credit reduction
1. Engineer Kimmes reviewed the reduction request from MLG. Actual account totals
were presented to the Board; reduction amount is $59,245.79.
2. Applicant has submitted an additional reduction request for roads that will come forth
at the July 2007 meeting. Staff is recommending the Board deny that request until
the roads can be inspected.
3. Applicant have submitted a new banking institute. The Town is in possession of the
new letter of credit.
4. ACTION – Supervisor Rogers moved to grant a reduction of $59,245.79 for
landscaping items, seconded by Supervisor Helms. Motion passed
E. Planning and Design Institute – amending B-1 and M-1 Zoning District design standards.
1. Engineer Kimmes explained the current B-1 and M-1 districts do not have design
2. This item will be discussed by Planning, Resources, and Design at the July Plan
Commission meeting and will return to the Board with a recommendation.
3. The planning budget is spent for the year. PDI will bring forth a cost estimate for
each project that will require planning in order for the Town to determine if the
expense is necessary or if it can wait.
4. ACTION – Supervisor Kaul moved to authorize PDI to proceed with the design
standards for the B-1 and M-1 districts, seconded by Supervisor Rogers.
Motion passed unanimously.
F. Town of Grafton Resolution #2007-07 – unpaid erosion control fees for Tax Key #06-072-
0005.000, 928 Lamplighter Lane, Michael Gauthier, owner.
1. Applicant disturbed more than an acre of land during landscaping work and
constructed a berm. Bonestroo performed the erosion control work as necessary.
Applicant is not paying the Town for professional services performed.
2. ACTION – Supervisor Rogers moved to adopt Resolution #2007-07, seconded
by Supervisor Helms.
3. Supervisor Kaul asked staff what type of correspondence the applicant has received
from the Town.
4. Applicant has received monthly billing with interest from the Town. The Town has
not received a response from the applicant
5. ACTION – Motion passed unanimously.
G. Park and Open Space Plan – To adopt the results of the Impact Fee Study to comply with
Wisconsin Act 477 and to adopt the Comprehensive Outdoor Recreation Plan.
1. This item has been discussed at the Open Space Commission meetings.
2. The public hearing was held at the Plan Commission meeting June 6, 2007 at which
the item was tabled.
Grafton Town Board Minutes _June 13, 2007 Page 4 of 6
3. Plan Commission’s recommendation is for a joint meeting to be held with the Open
Space Commission, Plan Commission, and Board of Supervisors to discuss the
4. Joint meeting will occur on June 25, 2007.
5. The documents are available on the Town’s web site for review.
H. Presentation of Land Preservation Partnership of Ozaukee County.
1. Presentation by Tim Kaul on the Ozaukee Land Preservation Partnership goals and
2. The organization is seeking funds to finance a coordinator to work with the county
and it’s municipalities. They need about $40,000 and have collected around
3. Supervisor Helms asked where the funds would be coming from and would like to
make sure tax dollars are not being spent to fund development rights and purchases.
4. The organization is not raising funds to preserve lands; it is to educate and hire a
5. Donation would have to come from the park and open space fund.
6. ACTION – Supervisor Helms moved to table a decision until the July 2007
meeting, seconded by Supervisor Rogers. Motion passed 3-0, Supervisor Kaul
I. Parking restrictions on East River Road.
1. Residents have voiced concerns to Chairman Bartel about the increase in parking on
both sides of East River Road.
2. Engineer Kimmes suggested if the Board chooses to restrict parking they should list
their findings of fact as: a pre-existing condition of a hill that has below standards for
sight line conditions.
3. Chairman Bartel will first speak with the residents and ask them to only park on one
side of the road.
4. ACTION – Supervisor Helms moved to table Item I until the residents are
communicated with, seconded by Supervisor Rogers. Motion passed
J. On-call Erosion Control Services.
1. Engineer Kimmes reported 16 landscape firms (mostly Ozaukee County businesses)
and no quotes were received back. Staff recommends reaching out to larger firms in
the Milwaukee area. The quote form will be updated with a more broad pricing
2. Staff will send out the new quotes to the original 16 firms and the additional firms.
3. No action required.
IX. RESIDENT CORRESPONDENCE/PERSONS WISHING TO BE HEARD.
X. TOWN ENGINEER UPDATE
A. Town Engineering issues – Engineer Kimmes
1. Detailed Engineering Budget Re-Cap
a. The budget is $30,000; there have been $19,225.88 in charges.
b. Largest increases has been a result of more meetings being attended by the
Grafton Town Board Minutes _June 13, 2007 Page 5 of 6
c. The strawberry fields drainage issue has used $7,000 of the budget.
2. Road Budget
a. Budget was updated at the May 9, 2007 Board of Supervisor’s meeting.
b. The possible re-alignment of CTY RD C will require additional funds for future
meetings and discussions.
c. Port Ulao Estates corrective road work is estimated at $50,000. The County
Highway Department will be contacted first before quotes from Payne and
3. Salt Usage
a. In the years 2004, 2005 and 2006 the salt usage is as follows: 469 tons, 510
tons, and 496.5 tons respectively
4. Falls Road Bypass Lane
a. Town staff has been requesting for 6-7 weeks information from the Village of
Grafton’s developer’s engineer as to what was constructed. The information
was received by Bonestroo on June 11, 2007.
b. The information was not received in complete or accurate form.
c. Staff will be reviewing and offering a resolution.
d. Town engineers are conducting personal interviews with the surrounding
e. There have been temporary trespassing issues that will be documented.
5. Bluestem Court-Blank’s Crossing
a. Staff reported there are road failures in Blank’s Crossing and have contacted
the developers Mr. Mark Lake, Redmond Development and Mr. Don Raber,
A.N. Ansay. They are developing a plan of reparation that will be presented to
the Board next month.
6. Waterstone Design Error
a. Staff has been working with the developer to correct an error that was missed
by both Janke and Janke and Bonestroo Engineering.
b. Engineer Kimmes reviewed for the meeting the pond and drainage errors that
c. MLG and staff have agreed on a plan to solve the water problems.
XI. APPOINTMENTS OF COMMITTEES
A. Open Space Commission – Reappointing Mr. Jon Rauser as Chairman, Mr. Matthew
McLaughlin, and Mr. Shawn Graff.
1. There was discussion if Mr. McLaughlin is up for reappointment or if he resigned.
2. ACTION – Supervisor Helms moved to ratify Mr. Jon Rauser as Chairman and
Mr. Shawn Graff to serve a three year term ending on June 30, 2010 on the
Open Space Commission, seconded by Supervisor Kaul. Motion passed
B. Plan Commission – Reappointing Mr. Mike Ansay and Mr. Bob Clapper for a 3 year term
ending June 30, 2010.
1. ACTION – Supervisor Rogers moved to ratify Mr. Mike Ansay and Mr. Bob
Clapper to the Plan Commission for a 3 year term ending June 30, 2010,
seconded by Supervisor Kaul. Motion passed unanimously.
Grafton Town Board Minutes _June 13, 2007 Page 6 of 6
C. Town Clerk – Appointing Jessica Schmidt.
1. Mrs. Wendy Weeks’ term will end upon approval of Mrs. Jessica Schmidt’s
2. ACTION – Supervisor Kaul moved to appoint Mrs. Jessica Schmidt to serve as
the Town of Grafton’s Clerk, seconded by Supervisor Rogers. Motion passed
XII. REPORTS – FOR INFORMATION, DISCUSSION AND ACTION.
1. There is a standing water at/near 1341 Terminal Road. The Highway Department
has been contacted to observe and determine the cause.
1. Supervisor Helms has unsuccessfully been trying to contact Mr. Glenn Sievers to
schedule a final inspection. Lakeland Metals has not submitted the requested weight
2. Strawberry Fields; a 2 inch pipe will be installed by the Ozaukee County Highway
1. Treasurer’s Report
a. Presented to the Board
2. A new computer will need to be purchased; there is available money in the Office
Supply account and in the Computer Expense account.
3. A new surge protector for the server will be purchased for about $100.
D. Open Space Committee
E. Presentation of Invoices
XIII. MISCELLANEOUS ITEMS DEEMED PERTINENT AS ALLOWED BY LAW.
A. Attorney Mike Carlton has spoken with Mr. Tom Nash, USEPA; the test results are not
finished for the landfill water testing.
B. Engineer Kimmes discussed the City of Port Washington’s plan to re-route County Road C.
Town engineers and planners met with the City of Port Washington’s staff to discuss their
plan and alternative options.
A. Action – Motion made by Supervisor Rogers to adjourn. Seconded by Supervisor
Helms. Motion carried 5-0.
Jessica C. Schmidt, Town Clerk
Minutes Typed by: Rebecca Fellenz
November 13, 2013 Board of Supervisors
November 6, 2013 Plan Commission
October 9, 2013 Board of Supervisors
October 2, 2013 Plan Commission
September 11, 2013 Board of Supervisors
September 4, 2013 Plan Commission
August 14, 2013 Board of Supervisors
August 14, 2013 Plan Commission - Special Meeting
August 7, 2013 Plan Commission
July 17, 2013 Open Space Commission