Home Page: Meeting Minutes
August 22, 2011 Open Space Commission
TOWN OF GRAFTON
OPEN SPACE COMMISSION MEETING
August 22, 2011
I. CALL TO ORDER
A. Chairperson Tomter called the meeting to order at 7:00 P.M.
Chairperson Marjie Tomter
Commissioner Steve Wilkinson
Commissioner Dorothy Boyer
Commissioner Mike Uilhein
Town Chairman Lester Bartel Commissioner Shawn Graff
Commissioner Don Korinek
Commissioner Julia McNally
Scientist Brian Lennie
Town Clerk Erica Raffaele
II. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE TO THE FLAG
III. ADOPTION OF AGENDA
A. Commissioner Graff moved to adopt the agenda as presented. Commissioner Boyer seconded the motion. Motion carried 7-0.
IV. REVIEW & APPROVE MINUTES
A. Commissioner Wilkinson stated that there was a brief conversation about the Boat Launch Signage, but because it was not on the agenda, no action could be taken.
B. Commissioner Wilkinson stated that a comment was made regarding contacting the Sherriff’s Department to suggest that the facility would make a good place to observe traffic. No action was made regarding this issue.
C. Commissioner Graff stated that the attendees should be listed on the minutes.
D. Commissioner Graff moved to approve the minutes as corrected, Commissioner McNally seconded the motion. Motion carries 7-0.
V. OLD BUSINESS
A. Multi-Use Trail Ordinance: Governing the Use of the Multi-Use Trail
1. Scientist Lennie wished to discuss the ramifications of the concealed carry law. Mr. Lennie stated that this meant guns could not be prohibited on the trail.
2. Scientist Lennie stated that while the Town can not prohibit the carrying of a concealed weapon, the Town can make the Multi-Use Trail a “No-Discharge” Area. There is a process to follow in order to make the Trail a “No-Discharge” area.
3. Commissioner Boyer stated that maybe there should be a sign on the trail stating “Enter at your own risk” during hunting season.
4. Scientist Lennie recommends adopting the Ordinance, with a caveat making an additional no discharge zone that would solely encompass just the Multi-Use Trail.
5. ACTION: Commissioner Graff moved to approve the Ordinance as presented, upon review of the Town Board of Supervisors. Motion was seconded by Commissioner Uihlein. Motion carries 7-0.
B. Change of Meeting Date for Open Space Commission
1. ACTION: Commissioner McNally moved to discuss the changing of the Open Space Commission’s Meeting Date. Commissioner Boyer seconded the motion.
2. Commissioner Tomter stated the request of changing the meeting date to the 3rd Wednesday of every month, as long as there was no conflict.
3. Commissioner Boyer suggested waiting until the month of October to change the date of the meeting. The first changed date would be October 19th.
4. ACTION: Commissioner Wilkinson moved to change the date of the Open Space Meeting to the third Wednesday of every month, starting in the month of October. Motion was seconded by Commissioner Graff. Motion carries 7-0.
C. Possible additional Boat Launch Signage
1. ACTION: Commissioner Wilkinson moved to install the previously approved second “No Motor Vehicles” Sign between the paved area and the Boat Launch Area. Motion seconded by Commissioner Graff. Motion carries 7-0.
2. Commissioner Wilkinson stated that at a previous Open Space meeting, the Commission had approved obtaining from the County, two signs stating “No Motor Vehicles” for installation as a barrier to prevent vehicle traffic between the paved area and the Boat Launch area. Only one sign has been installed and there has been continual motor vehicle traffic.
D. Boat Launch – Suggest monitoring to County Sherriff
1. Town Clerk Raffaele was asked to contact the Ozaukee County Sherriff to give permissions to use the Boat Launch’s parking lot to control traffic, which also may deter the motor vehicle issue previously discussed.
VI. NEW BUSINESS
A. Town of Grafton – Bird City Considerations
1. Commissioner Tomter stated that on the next Open Space Meeting agenda, the Commission should discuss a date in which to celebrate.
2. Commissioner Tomter asked if signs had been delivered.
B. Chiselled Grape Winery – Conditional Use Permit – Parking Lot Amendment to Conditional Use Permit #11-02
1. Commissioner Wilkinson recommended that the Open Space Commission pass the issue on to the Plan Commission with regard to preserving significant areas in the Town with historical value.
2. ACTION: Commissioner Wilkinson moved to recommend approval of the parking lot amendment. Commissioner Graff seconded. Motion carries 7-0.
VII. RESIDENT CORRESPONDENCE/PERSONS WISHING TO BE HEARD
A. Commissioner McNally stated that she walked the Multi-Use Trail and noticed that the very East end is still very thick.
1. Chairman Bartel stated that it was still too wet to be able to cut.
2. Scientist Lennie is going to contact Weed Commissioner Brown to see when this will be taken care of.
VIII. TOWN STAFF UPDATES
IX. MISCELLANEOUS ITEMS DEEMED PERTINENT AS ALLOWED BY LAW
1. ACTION-Commissioner Graff moved to adjourn , seconded by Commissioner McNally, motion carried 7-0.
Erica L. Raffaele
April 10, 2013 Board of Supervisors
April 3, 2013 Plan Commission
March 13, 2013 Board of Supervisors
March 6, 2013 Plan Commission
March 4, 2013 JOINT Village/Town Board of Supervisors
February 25, 2013 Special Board of Supervisors
February 13, 2013 Board of Supervisors
February 6, 2013 Plan Commission
January 16, 2013 Open Space Commission
January 9, 2013 Board of Supervisors