Home Page: Meeting Minutes
May 16, 2012 Open Space Commission
TOWN OF GRAFTON
OPEN SPACE COMMISSION MEETING
May 16, 2012
I. CALL TO ORDER
A. Chairperson Tomter called the meeting to order at 7:00 P.M.
Chairperson Marjie Tomter
Commissioner Steve Wilkinson
Commissioner Dorothy Boyer Commissioner Mike Uihlein
Commissioner Don Korinek Commissioner Julia McNally
Scientist Brian Lennie
Town Chairman Lester A. Bartel
Town Attorney Sara MacCarthy
1. Absent: Commissioner Shawn Graff
II. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE TO THE FLAG
III. ADOPTION OF AGENDA
1. ACTION-Commissioner Uihlein moved to adopt the agenda as presented , seconded by Commissioner Korinek motion carried 6-0
IV. REVIEW & APPROVE MINUTES
1. Corrections ??
2. ACTION-Commissioner McNally moved to approve the minutes as corrected , seconded by Commissioner Boyer, motion carried 6-0
V. OLD BUSINESS
A. Discussion regarding Phase 2 & 3 of the Multi-Use Trail
1. Scientist Lennie distributed the current version of the map. He stated that the website has been updated to include the most current map.
2. Scientist Lennie stated that the Phase 2 project will be advertised for bid starting tomorrow (May 17, 2012). The bid opening will take place in June and the bid will be awarded at either the July or August Board of Supervisors meeting.
3. The Phase 3 grant application is being prepared, he now has a copy of the signed Resolution, a copy of the signed easement agreements and the other 2 easement agreements are ready to be signed as soon as there are motions approved to do so.
4. Chairperson Tomter asked if the Town is in a reasonable position with the grant for phase 2 to have money to purchase another easement.
5. Chairperson Tomter asked what type of flexibility the Town has with working with the DNR on instead of doing the section along Falls Rd that is still wet and begin to move efforts toward the new easement that is slated in phase 3 but it really an important piece. It would make much more sense if the Town is running low on funds to go in that direction.
6. Commissioner McNally asked if the Town could put more money toward the other section in phase 2 off of Lakeshore that is part of the Beachgrass easement.
7. Scientist Lennie stated that the flexibility with phase 2 is more from the perspective of breaking up the different segments as alternates so that the Town could only award an individual part if it sees fit. For example, the base bid could be for the Beachgrass section, the Falls Rd. section could be alternate 1, the Fox Tail Ln. portion could be alternate 2, etc.
8. As far as the Town reallocating funds from phase 2 into phase 3 that is not feasible. It wouldn’t be a bad idea to invite Jim Richie from the DNR to the June Open Space Meeting to discuss these options.
9. ACTION-Commissioner Tomter moved to recommend the Board bid this project as a base and 2 alternates (the base bid is for the Beachgrass/Drawing Dead parcel, with alternate 1 being the Falls Rd section and the area in front of Fox Tail Ln. is alternate 2), seconded by Commissioner Korinek, motion carried 6-0
VI. NEW BUSINESS
A. Public Education on Preservation of Open Space on Private Property
1. ACTION-Chairperson Tomter moved to table this item, seconded by Commissioner Wilkinson, motion carried 6-0
1. ACTION-Commissioner Korinek moved to table this item, seconded by Commissioner McNally, motion carried 6-0
C. Discussion on approving check in the amount of $2,800 to purchase an easement for the Multi-Use Trail on the Bieck Management apartment property on Lakefield Road. (Referred from Town Board of Supervisors)
1. Commissioner Wilkinson asked if $2,800 is meets the standards and is appropriate for the length of the easement.
2. Scientist Lennie stated that this portion is about 800 feet and is in proportion to the payment that was made for the Drawing Dead parcel to the bank. It is based upon the length and width to get acreage and then a percentage of land value.
3. Scientist Lennie clarified that this money would be coming from the Open Space/Site Fee account
4. ACTION-Commissioner Wilkinson moved to recommend the Board of Supervisors the payment of $2,800 for the purchase of the Trail easement be completed for Bieck Management , seconded by Commissioner Korinek, motion carried 6-0
D. Action on Von der Ruhr Easement Payment in the amount of $2,800.
1. This item is the same as item C
2. ACTION-No action taken
VII. RESIDENT CORRESPONDENCE/PERSONS WISHING TO BE HEARD
1. Jay Pollack 859 Tallgrass for clarification on the petition that was brought forward by the Blanks Crossing residents against the Multi-use trail as to why it was considered invalid.
2. Attorney MacCarthy stated that the Board did consider the petition and it was voted on.
3. Mr. Pollack also asked if an easement needs to be obtained on the Drawing Dead parcel so that the trail section will run all the way from Falls Rd to Lakeshore Rd. Scientist Lennie explained that the easement is already in place.
4. Mr. Pollack asked how the Town will connect trail segments in the future and asked if the allocation of the $2,800 is cost effective. Scientist Lennie explained that the funds have been planned for in the grant that the Town obtained. The 800 square feet of trail is part of about 7,000 feet of trail so the Town is only essentially paying for 800 feet of this segment of trail, the rest has been donated.
VIII. TOWN STAFF UPDATES
1. Scientist Lennie mowing of phase 1contact Ozaukee County Highway Department and the property owner to convey how the Town would like the mowing to be done to properly identify the trail.
2. Chairperson Tomter asked if Scientist Lennie has contacted with the Highway department regarding the ruts in the trail. Scientist Lennie stated that he has sent a couple of emails and left a message with Bill Tackes but has not been able to connect with him yet.
3. Commissioner Wilkinson stated that the boat launch boulders have been put in place and they are sufficient to prevent further driving into the area. The boat launch has also been mowed once and trash and garlic mustard has been cleaned up.
IX. MISCELLANEOUS ITEMS DEEMED PERTINENT AS ALLOWED BY LAW
1. Chairperson Tomter stated that Woodland Shores and Blanks Crossing are planning on having noxious weed education in these subdivisions. The Open Space Commission could discuss joining in this opportunity to help further educate residents. Town Chairman Bartel stated that due to the time capacity this year it would be too late but the process should be looked at earlier in the year next year.
2. Chairperson Tomter thanked the people who participated in the International Migratory Bird Day at Lion’s Den this past weekend, it was a great success.
1. ACTION-Commissioner Wilkinson moved to adjourn , seconded by Commissioner Boyer, motion carried 6-0
Lila Schwan, Town Clerk
as typed by Jessica Schmidt
May 8, 2013 Board of Supervisors
May 1, 2013 Plan Commission
April 10, 2013 Board of Supervisors
April 3, 2013 Plan Commission
March 13, 2013 Board of Supervisors
March 6, 2013 Plan Commission
March 4, 2013 JOINT Village/Town Board of Supervisors
February 25, 2013 Special Board of Supervisors
February 13, 2013 Board of Supervisors
February 6, 2013 Plan Commission