Home Page: Meeting Minutes
March 21, 2012 Open Space Commission
TOWN OF GRAFTON
OPEN SPACE COMMISSION MEETING
March 21, 2012
I. CALL TO ORDER
A. Chairperson Tomter called the meeting to order at 7:05 P.M.
Chairperson Marjie Tomter
Commissioner Dorothy Boyer
Commissioner Mike Uihlein
Commissioner Julia McNally
Chairman Lester Bartel
Commissioner Shawn Graff Commissioner Steve Wilkinson
Commissioner Don Korinek
Scientist Brian Lennie
Town Clerk Erica Raffaele
Planner Amanda Schaefer
II. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE TO THE FLAG
III. ADOPTION OF AGENDA
A. ACTION: Commissioner Korinek moved to approve the agenda as presented. Commissioner Uihlein seconded the motion. Motion carries 6-0.
IV. REVIEW & APPROVE MINUTES
A. ACTION: Commissioner Boyer moved to approve the meeting minutes as presented. Commissioner McNally seconded the motion with Commissioner Wilkinson obstaining. Motion carried 6-0.
V. OLD BUSINESS
A. Multi-Use Trail - Phase 2 Design
1. Scientist Lennie stated that the design is still being worked on.
2. Scientist Lennie stated that Stantec is still trying to figure out what kind of permits would be needed associated with the culverts. The tentative plan is to have the design and permitting would be done in the month of April, and sometime in June construction could be started.
VI. NEW BUSINESS
A. Multi-Use Trail – Phase 3 Easements
1. Scientist Lennie stated that two property owners were contacted, the Curtis’ and the Pflegers. The Curtis’ seemed hesitant in placing the easement directly adjacent to their home. Scientist Lennie stated that the intent is to contact the apartment complex, and also the property further to the east.
2. Scientist Lennie stated that we did contact the Pflegers. Mrs. Pfleger stated that her husband had not looked at the easement paperwork yet but would be getting back to us soon.
B. Horse Sign Request
1. Scientist Lennie stated that a request came in from the Curtis family asking if it would be possible to have more sign locations along Lakefield Road regarding horses.
2. ACTION: Commissioner Korinek moved to recommend to the Town Board of Supervisors that some signage regarding horses be installed on the east and west side of the Railroad Tracks on Lakefield Road. Commissioner Wilkinson seconded the motion. Motion carried 6-0.
VII. RESIDENT CORRESPONDENCE/PERSONS WISHING TO BE HEARD
A. A petition from the residents of Blank’s Crossing was submitted into the public record.
B. Mark Lake – Developer of the Blank’s Crossing Subdivision, stated that the Blank’s Crossing Subdivision residents along with himself would like their Subdivision taken “off the map”. Mr. Lake referenced the petition that was submitted to the Open Space Commission.
C. Aaron Schmanski – 799 Lakeshore Road – stated that his property is located where Falls Road runs through. Mr. Schmanski stated that the people in the neighborhood want all efforts stopped. Mr. Schmanski stated that he is a potential owner of the Beachgrass Land, but will not pursue the sale as long as the Multi-Use Trail is still being built.
D. Aaron Schmanski – 799 Lakeshore Road – asked of the Open Space Commission who is responsible for costs of clean up on the Multi-Use Trail.
E. Mary McIntosh – 1050 Lakeshore Road – stated that in her opinion the Multi-Use Trail is a ditch filled with water. She does not understand how horses are able to even use the trail. There is a lot of garbage starting to accumulate on Lakeshore Road which Mrs. McIntosh believes is because of the Trail partly. She would like to see the money that is being used on the Multi-use Trail for something else in the Town.
F. Aaron Schmanski – 799 Lakeshore Road – stated that trash has started to accumulate on his property because of the easement dedicated to the Multi-Use Trail. Mr. Schmanski asked the question “what happens if someone comes off of the said easement onto his property”.
G. Greg Sommersberger – 893 Tallgrass Drive – stated that his largest frustration with the Multi-Use Trail is the quality of the trail. Mr. Sommersberger works for the City of Mequon and has much experience with designing trails and the grants that can be applied for. He stated the trail is under water most of the time which makes it unusable. Another concern is security because the south end opens up the Blank’s Crossing trail system. Invasive species are a concern also, linear trail systems are one of the number one ways for invasive species to travel.
VIII. TOWN STAFF UPDATES
A. Scientist Lennie stated that he did take a look at the existing Phase 1 area of the trail to look at the damage that was done by the County mower. There is ponding in the area because of the damage. He also stated that he saw two sets of fresh tracks along the Falls Road section of the trail. It looks like someone has attempted to drive into the trail.
B. It was suggested that at April’s Open Space Meeting the Board takes a look at closing the trail during the wet season to avoid damage.
IX. MISCELLANEOUS ITEMS DEEMED PERTINENT AS ALLOWED BY LAW
A. Chairperson Tomter addressed a draft press release for International Migratory Bird Day on May 12th. Andrew Struck from Ozaukee County will attend and will conduct a Bird and Plant Walk. There will also be a bee pod on that day (not inhabited). Ozaukee County will provide us with handouts on Rain Gardens and Native Species Plantings. She would like volunteers from the Open Space Commission to volunteer for shifts to make sure the Town is represented.
B. Commissioner Wilkinson stated that the Canoe Launch has come through the winter with no damage primarily because the River never fully froze over. Because the time of year that the Canoe Launch sees the most traffic is coming, placement of barriers should be discussed.
X. ADJOURN –
1. ACTION: Commissioner Korinek moved to adjourn. Commissioner Boyer seconded the motion. Motion carries 6-0.
Erica L. Raffaele
April 10, 2013 Board of Supervisors
April 3, 2013 Plan Commission
March 13, 2013 Board of Supervisors
March 6, 2013 Plan Commission
March 4, 2013 JOINT Village/Town Board of Supervisors
February 25, 2013 Special Board of Supervisors
February 13, 2013 Board of Supervisors
February 6, 2013 Plan Commission
January 16, 2013 Open Space Commission
January 9, 2013 Board of Supervisors