Home Page: Meeting Minutes
February 15, 2012 Open Space Commission
TOWN OF GRAFTON
OPEN SPACE COMMISSION MEETING
February 15, 2012
I. CALL TO ORDER
A. Chairperson Tomter called the meeting to order at 7:05 P.M.
Chairperson Marjie Tomter
Commissioner Dorothy Boyer
Commissioner Mike Uihlein
Commissioner Julia McNally
Plan Commissioner Lou Hefle
Chairman Lester Bartel
Commissioner Steve Wilkinson Commissioner Don Korinek
Scientist Brian Lennie
Town Clerk Erica Raffaele
Commissioner Shawn Graff
Supervisor Tom Grabow
Planner Amanda Schaefer
II. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE TO THE FLAG
III. ADOPTION OF AGENDA
A. ACTION: Commissioner Graff moved to approve the agenda as presented. Commissioner Uihlein seconded the motion. Motion carries 6-0.
IV. REVIEW & APPROVE MINUTES
A. ACTION: Commissioner Boyer moved to approve the meeting minutes as presented. Commissioner McNally seconded the motion with Commissioner Graff obstaining. Motion carried 5-0.
V. OLD BUSINESS
A. Discuss Date for International Migratory Bird Day (Tabled Issue)
1. ACTION: Commissioner Graff moved to take this issue off the table. Commissioner Uilhein seconded the motion. Motion carried 6-0.
2. Chairperson Tomter met with Andrew Struck (Oz. County) and Commissioner Graff (Oz. Treasurers) regarding Ozaukee County’s IMBD date which will be the first Saturday in May (May 5th).
3. ACTION: Commissioner McNally moved to accept May 12th as the Town of Grafton’s International Migratory Bird Day at the Lion’s Den. Commissioner Graff seconded the motion. Motion carried 6-0.
VI. NEW BUSINESS
A. Discussion on Kaul Easement
1. Chairperson Tomter recommended sending the Kaul’s a letter recognizing their generosity and their efforts in the Town of Grafton.
2. ACTION: Commissioner Graff moved to send the Kaul Family a letter thanking the family for their efforts and the donation of land to the Open Space Commission. Commissioner Uilhein seconded the motion. Motion carried 6-0.
B. Discussion on the impact of public access open space on local property values and perceived quality of life.
1. Town Planner Schaefer read her research and report into the Public Record.
2. Town Planner Schaefer stated that from her studies that preserved open space does lend itself to increased property values.
3. Commissioner Boyer requested a copy of the report that Town Schaefer put together.
4. Supervisor Grabow questioned how everything will be paid for?
5. Chairperson Tomter answered that there may be times that the Town may not be able to implement some of the Open Space Issues. The OSC is looking at some different fundraising opportunities to help the cause. There are some families that are interested in donating easements also.
VII. RESIDENT CORRESPONDENCE/PERSONS WISHING TO BE HEARD
A. Discussion and possible action concerning any resident correspondence received.
1. Chairman Tomter stated that there is a new player in the County that may be significant in the environmental capacity. It was launched about a week ago at River’s Edge. It stems out of the Land Conservation Partnership of Oz. County and has been pulling together new ideas, called the Ozaukee Treasures Network. County government, Department of Natural Resources, and private non-profit organizations, whomever has a stake in the environmental landscape of Ozaukee County. The first meeting is at River’s Edge on Wednesday, February 22nd.
2. Commissioner Graff stated that there are opportunities here to form partnerships that normally wouldn’t be formed, and there are a lot more opportunities to apply for certain grants.
VIII. TOWN STAFF UPDATES
A. Chairperson Tomter reminded everyone that the Ozaukee County Tree Sale is going on this month. (February 29th)
B. Scientist Lennie gave everyone a handout regarding potential Phase 3 Easement options.
1. The Curtis family suggested that Mr. Lennie contact the Apartment Complex owners and see if they would be interested in also donating an easement. Up to this point, Mr. Lennie has not had any success in contacting the owner of the Apartment complex.
2. The Pfleger Family was very receptive to the location that was proposed by Mr. Lennie.
C. Scientist Lennie requested that the monies that were budgeted for fundraising plan/sign plan be reallocated to the easement acquisition of the properties in question.
D. ACTION: Commissioner Graff moved to add the costs of easement preparation to the allowed list of activities under the OSC fund for the 2012 budget. Commissioner Uilhein seconded the motion. Motion carried 6-0.
IX. MISCELLANEOUS ITEMS DEEMED PERTINENT AS ALLOWED BY LAW
X. ADJOURN –
1. ACTION: Commissioner Korinek moved to adjourn. Commissioner McNally seconded the motion. Motion carries 5-0.
Erica L. Raffaele
May 8, 2013 Board of Supervisors
May 1, 2013 Plan Commission
April 10, 2013 Board of Supervisors
April 3, 2013 Plan Commission
March 13, 2013 Board of Supervisors
March 6, 2013 Plan Commission
March 4, 2013 JOINT Village/Town Board of Supervisors
February 25, 2013 Special Board of Supervisors
February 13, 2013 Board of Supervisors
February 6, 2013 Plan Commission